Thursday, February 12, 2009

Spay, Training, & Being The Only Dog

Paris was spayed a couple of days ago. She is recuperating very quickly! Frasier got to be the only dog for a day and a half. It seemed that he really really enjoyed it and soaked in all of the attention. I had bought him a new plush toy for the occasion and a new hoofie. He romped around for about 3 minutes with each new toy. He mostly just wanted to be with me. When I brought Paris home, he lit up! It was obvious that he loves Paris. That made me feel good. I do need to add that I got him a new plush toy because Paris has de-stuffed every one of his toys, and he must've had 15 to 20 of them. The only toys left are the hard rubber ones. Anyway, both doggies are happy to be back together. I am happy that Paris is spayed.

Paris is still in training class. We have three more classes. I am having a bit of trouble getting her to learn the "down" position. She puts her front down but keeps her bottom up. The building the class is in has a dirt floor so we'll work on that after her stitches come out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad the spay went well. I do think that dogs enjoy having a little one on one time, so it is great for Frasier that he had a chance to be the one and only for a day. I can imagine that he must have been happy to see his sister again. My boys are just the same. Mama's boys to the core, but they really love my English Cocker girls. My own boys would not do well being an only dog, but they have been raised around other dogs their entire lives.

    I hope your class continues to go well. With the downs, it may help to do a lot of "cookie lure" type downs until she really understands the position. Always push backwards rather than pull forward with the cookie as it encourages them to stay in position for the down and not take a step forward (-: My Wincent is so funny... he does a kind of frog style flop for his downs rather than a typical down. I think it is so cute and he is not a competition obedience dog, so I have never trained him differently. Dogs can be so entertaining (-:

    ReplyDelete